Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Temperature Quilt 2018 - getting organized

I don't know about you, but if I'm going to keep a daily project going for an entire year along with all of my other projects, I need to get organized! Here's a rundown of what I'm doing to keep track of everything.

I purchased my fabrics yesterday. I'm using Moda Bella solids in 26 colors. I've decided to make three quilts instead of just one! I want to see some very different quilts, so I'm making one for me - I live in Texas - as well as one for each of my sisters. One lives in Missouri and the other lives in Wisconsin. Because of this big geographic difference, I need a really wide temperature range. I've chosen to do 5 degree increments from -15 to 105 degrees, plus one color for everything over 105 and another for anything below -15. Here's my color chart.


Next, I need somewhere to keep pre-cut pieces to make my flying geese. I used some cardstock to create little folders for each color. Inside, I can keep the triangles used to make the flying geese. I am using Bonnie Hunter's Essential Triangle Tool to cut the two sizes of triangles from 3 inch strips. With my folders, I can cut up a strip or two up all at once instead of keeping track of partially used strips. Here is my basket of folders.


And here is a look at the contents of one folder. I'm hoping to keep well stocked on mainly one season's worth of triangles at a time. No need to fill up all 26 folders, when I hope to not need all of those bright reds for several months!


If you're playing along on Instagram, use the hashtag #tempquilt18 for your posts so that we can all see what you're making!

5 comments:

Jeanne Lobsinger said...

I’m so happy you are doing this. This is doable for me and almost like a mystery quilt. Thanks Chris!!

J L Meadowlark said...

So will the geese be the high and the sky the low temperature??

Chris Simon said...

Yes, the goose is the high temp for the day, and the side triangles are the low.

J L Meadowlark said...

THank you for your reply! I'm ready to get started on mine!!

Melinda said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I am hoping to use prints from my AG and Tula Pink and Kaffe collections. Going for the crazy busy look, but I hope it will work!